Here are the harvest possibilities for this week…
- Melons ( Watermelon and Cantaloupe)
- Peppers ( Hot, Bell, and Sweet Lunchbox)
- Cut Greens ( Kale, Mizuna, Spinach, and Arugula)
- Squash ( Summer and Winter)
- Beans ( Green and Dragon Tongue)
- PYO Flowers (Anything in Bloom: Snapdragons, Sunflowers, and Zinnias)
- PYO Cherry Tomatoes
Things to remember…
- Five Buck Bucket of tomatoes are still available, though likely the last week offered.
- Monday is fish pickup.
- Extras are Monday and Wednesday evenings after 7 pm.
Items on sale at distribution include…
- Honey from the Moose Hill Community Farm Hives
- Pasture raised beef from the Trustees of the Reservation ( Ribeye, Sirloin, Ground Beef, and Short Rib)
- Spices from Organic Green Kitchen
- Moose Hill Community Farm Cookbooks
Happy Independence Day to everyone! For this week’s pickup, you can look forward to…
- Ovation Mix (arugula, kale, mustard greens, mizuna, and tatsoi)
- Garlic Scapes
- Squash (zucchini, summer squash, eight ball, patty pan, and golden zucchini)
- Peas (PYO)
Looking ahead, we have more kale, onions, and possibly cucumbers on the way.
Monday is fish pickup for those of you with fish.
As always, we are selling pasture raised beef from the Trustees, honey from our farm hives, spices from Organic Green Kitchen, Moose Hill Community Farm cookbooks, and we are down to our last few bottles of Moose Hill maple syrup.
Crushing Colorado potato beetles all day is hard work, especially on a hot July day. After washing the blood of countless beetles and larva from my hands, I turned my attention to lunch and the heap of zucchini and summer squash residing on my kitchen counter. While debating how best to jazz up the zucchini, I quickly realized that I had the ingredients to make grilled cheese! With that in mind, I took to the Internet and found a recipe for zucchini grilled cheese. For the most part I followed the recipe, except when it came to the cheese. The recipe calls for Gruyere, fontina, and Parmesan, but I only had a block of cheddar and some leftover Parmesan, so I made do with these ingredients. Overall, I was well pleased with the results, a tasty success and a great use of zucchini and summer squash.
Post beetle lunch of zucchini grilled cheese, veggie chili topped with cilantro aioli and Greek yogurt, and a beetnik martini.
After a spastic spring of cool and damp days, we are excited to finally have some warm andsunny days on the farm. The past few days have done wonders for our crops.
Peppers in the lower field.
Tomatoes ready for another trellis.
Pea bushes blooming in the lower fields.
CORN ! Not knee high.
One of the first squash blossoms of the season.
Here is what to look forward to in your Week 2 CSA Pickup…
- Spring Onions
- Arugula or Kale
- Spring Garlic
Remember to collect your eggs, for those who ordered them, and to bring bags for your vegetables.
Furthermore, we will have our honey and maple syrup for sale, as well as spices from local vendor Organic Green Kitchen. We have a variety of spices available, but let us know if you want a specific spice. For a complete list of spices available, please click here.