Here are the harvest possibilities for this week…
- Pop Corn
- Popping Directions
- Storage Techniques
1. Hang Ears to Dry: Pull the husks back from the ears, to expose the popcorn kernels. Hang ears in a cool, dry place for at least 3-4 weeks. Before putting them away, remove a few kernels, and see if they pop properly. If not, they are not yet dry.
2. Slow dry in the oven: Heat oven to 200 degrees. Pull back and remove the husks. Place ears in a single layer on a baking sheet. Put them in the oven overnight, leaving the door ajar. Leaving the door ajar is important, to allow moisture to escape, and so it doesn’t get too hot. Remove from the oven, and hang ears in a cool, dry place for 1-2 weeks. Try popping a few kernels before storing them, to assure they are dry.
- Peppers (Hot, Bell, and Sweet Lunchbox)
- Cut Greens ( Kale, Mizuna, Collards, and Arugula)
- Winter Squash (Limited)
- Broccoli (Limited)
- Cauliflower (Limited)
- Potatoes (Limited)
- Sweet Potatoes
- PYO Flowers (Anything in Bloom: Snapdragons, Sunflowers, and Zinnias)
Things to remember…
- Monday is fish pickup.
- Extras are Monday and Wednesday evenings after 7 pm.
Items on sale at distribution include…
- Honey from the Moose Hill Community Farm Hives
- Pasture raised beef from the Trustees of the Reservation ( Ribeye, Sirloin, Ground Beef, and Short Rib)
- Spices from Organic Green Kitchen
- Moose Hill Community Farm Cookbooks
For those of you who enjoy potlucks, we will be having the end of the season potluck on Sunday October 1st from Noon to 2pm. Bring your favorite dish, preferably one that incorporates some of our vegetables. Interested parties should RSVP by Friday September 29th. Send RSVP to [email protected].