- 2 mangoes, peeled, pitted and julienned
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds Napa cabbage, halved and sliced very thinly
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons of fresh lime juice, from about two limes
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oil of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste (or omit this and whisk in a chili paste to taste)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted cashews, coarsely chopped
Toss mangoes, cabbage, pepper and onion in a large bowl. Whisk lime juice, vinegar, oil, salt and red pepper in a smaller bowl and pour over slaw. You can either serve this immediately or leave the flavors to muddle for an hour in the fridge. Before serving, toss with mint leaves and sprinkle with cashews.
About your mango: This salad will work with almost any variety or ripeness of mango, whether sour or sweet. Use the one you can get, or that you enjoy the most. In general, a firmish not overly ripe mango (unlike the very ripe, sweet one I used) holds up best but all will be delicious in this salad.