- 1 cup black rice
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into small florets, stems peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
In a heavy-bottomed medium pot, bring rice and 1 3/4 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl. Let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss broccoli and garlic with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Roast, stirring once, until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove and reserve garlic; transfer broccoli to bowl with rice.
Remove garlic from skins. Place in a small bowl; mash. Whisk in mustard, vinegar, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Drizzle over salad. Add almonds, parsley, and scallions; toss. Season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.