Explore the wonders of nature this weekend with bird walks, mammal tracking workshops, a sea duck field trip, and more!
- Take a Naturalist Walk around Drumlin Farm in Lincoln to learn about what’s happening around the wildlife sanctuary at this time of year. (Adults)
- Bird Away the Winter Blues at Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge in Sudbury with the staff from Broadmoor. We’ll be looking for species like American coot, common goldeneye, golden-crowned kinglet, and American tree sparrow. Bald eagles are often a possibility at this time of year, as occasional visitors from the north like horned larks, red-breasted nuthatch, and snow bunting. (Adults, registration required)
- During Introduction to Tracking Mammals at Ipswich River in Topsfield, learn the basics of tracking local mammals. Following the indoor introduction, we’ll hike the sanctuary to search for tracks, chews, and scat.
- Come out with the talented guides from Joppa Flats for Saturday Morning Birding to search to find birds in the Newburyport/Plum Island area, one of the best year-round birding locations in the country. Beginners and birders of all levels are welcome. (Adults)
- Join Doug Lowry for Dessert and Destinations 2015: The Pacific Northwest and Alaska Coastline at North River in Marshfield. Through photos, stories, and journal readings Doug will visit the land of complex communities that support the interplay of kelp and urchin, sea otters and salmon, and wolves and cedar. Dessert will be a mixed berry cobbler. (Adults, registration required)
- Welcome the Winter Solstice at Boston Nature Center at little early this weekend. Learn about the science and myth behind the winter solstice, make and decorate a paper luminary to take home, and help out the birds this season by making your own bird feeder. (Family, registration required)
- Scan the waters of Cape Cod for eiders, grebes, mergansers, widgeons and as part of The Sea Ducks of Winter hosted by Long Pasture in Barnstable. (Ages 12+, registration required)
- Birders and non-birders of all ages and skill level welcome on a Morning Bird Walk at Habitat in Belmont. Come and enjoy gentle strolls through Habitat as we look for signs of change as winter approaches. (All ages)
For a full listing of our weekend programs, visit our program catalog, where you can register online.