Well, summer sure did start with a bang, didn’t it? Fortunately, it looks like we may see a bit of a reprieve from the blistering heat this weekend. Looking for a good excuse to spend some time outdoors? We’ve got so many great programs happening around the state. A few highlights:
- Hit the water and join one of our many canoe and kayak programs happening this weekend (and all summer for that matter). (registration required)
- What’s better than a ripe, juicy strawberry? A ripe, juicy strawberry that you picked yourself. Drumlin Farm in Lincoln is having one more Strawberry Picking Day on Saturday. Show up early —they’ll go fast!
- Join the team from Joppa Flats for Saturday Morning Birding in the Newburyport/Plum Island area. Open to all levels of birders!
- Don Salvatore of the Museum of Science’s Firefly Watch Citizen Science project will open the doors of discovery into the Secret Lives of Fireflies at Blue Hills Trailside Museum in Milton on Saturday evening. (registration required)
- New to birding? Bring the whole family for Stony Brook’s Beginning Birding—Family Style in Norfolk on Sunday. It’s a great way to introduce young people to a world and a pastime they may treasure the rest of their lives. (registration required)
- Ever wondered what lives in younger woods where saplings and sprouts abound? Find out during Wachusett Meadow’s Early Successional Forest program in Princeton on Sunday. (registration required)
- Art lovers should check out the exhibition “Our Shared Planet: The Animal Kingdom Portrayed” from the Lexington Arts & Crafts Society. Our own Chris Leahy will be speaking at the opening reception on Sunday evening and a portion of the proceeds from the sale of the art goes to Mass Audubon.
- Broadmoor in Natick just can’t get enough of butterflies and dragonflies, which is why they are offering two programs on Sunday—one for families and adults. (registration required)
- End the weekend by joining local astronomers at Moose Hill in Sharon for a look at the stars during one of their Free Star Parties.
For a full listing of programs happening this weekend, visit our online program catalog, where you can now register online for many of our programs.
Photo © Dawn Puliafico