Turkey trivia, clam chowder, sea turtles, and sea birds are just a few of the ways you can learn about and enjoy nature with us this weekend.
- As part of The Best of Home: Nuthatches, Chickadees and New England Clam Chowder, we’ll first, take a brisk walk at North River Wildlife Sanctuary in Marshfield to see some of our woodsy natives: black-capped chickadee, tufted titmouse, and red and white-breasted nuthatch. Afterward, warm up with some homemade New England Clam Chowder and good company at the caretakers’ cottage. (registration required)
- Interested in birding but don’t know where to start? Join Ipswich River in Topsfield for Birding for Beginners. In addition to discussing how to choose the right binoculars and what to look for in a field guide, we’ll head out onto the sanctuary and learn what to look and listen for to help identify these beautiful creatures. (registration required)
- Juvenile sea turtles are found cold-stunned and stranded on Cape Cod Bay beaches every year in November and December. Come with Wellfleet Bay for a Sea Turtle Patrol on a patrol of a local beach to learn about sea turtle biology, behavior, and conservation.
- Join Oak Knoll in Attleboro for Wild Turkey Talk, a fun filled program about turkeys. We will learn how to identify males from female wild turkeys, how to tell their age, and other interesting facts. Look at and touch turkey artifacts, make a turkey craft, and take a hike on the trail. (registration required)
- Late November provides an opportunity to enjoy the remaining fall migrants as well as wintering species. On Birding from Nahant to East Boston with Joppa Flats, we will explore hot spots in the northern section of Boston Harbor, to look for sea ducks, loons, grebes, purple sandpipers, and northern harriers, with possible sightings of black-headed and mew gulls, king eiders, and Barrow’s goldeneyes. (registration required)
- Moose Hill in Sharon is also giving families a chance to learn some Thanksgiving trivia with their Turkey Trot program. You’ll search for turkey habitats, make a special turkey project that can brighten up your holiday table, and take part in a gobbling contest. (registration required)
For a full listing of programs, visit our online program catalog, where you can now register online for many of our programs.
Photo © TurtleJournal.com