Enjoy beach creatures, shorebirds, butterflies, and dragonflies by land and water this weekend. Here’s how:
- Explore everything from the birds above to the creatures below the water’s surface during Felix Neck’s Saturdays at Sengekontacket on the Vineyard’s State Beach. (All, free)
- Join Joppa Flats and the crew of the Yankee Clipper for a Beach Creatures Cruise, an exciting exploration of the lower Merrimack River ecosystem. Your family will have a wonderful time cruising and learning about this vital part of the area’s natural history. (Family, registration required)
- Kayak Scorton Creek in Sandwich with Long Pasture for great opportunities to view salt marsh species of birds and other beach inhabitants within a quiet and calm environment. (Ages 12+, registration required)
- On Allens Pond’s Beach Ramble in South Dartmouth, meander through a grassland meadow before walking by the salt pond onto a sandy beach. After enjoying a short climb onto a bedrock outcrop, take in the beautiful vista before descending to the rocky coastline. (All, Free)
- See how many butterflies you can find among Broad Meadow Brook’s gardens and meadows during their Butterfly Walk in Worcester. Along the way, learn about these beautiful and graceful pollinators. (Adults, registration required)
- During Fun with Butterflies and Dragonflies (Family) and The Wonders of Butterflies and Dragonflies (Adult), discover the amazing number of dragonflies and butterflies that make Broadmoor in Natick home. (registration required)
For a full listing of programs, visit our online program catalog, where you can now register online for many of our programs. And if you’re out taking photos, don’t forget to enter the 2014 Mass Audubon Picture This Photo Contest!