- For the Allens Pond Duck Derby Festival on Saturday in South Dartmouth, there will be a kids’ obstacle course, live music, BBQ, and more!
- Thanks to the generosity of numerous Local Cultural Councils, South Shore Sanctuaries has been offering Capture the Natural Beauty, a series of free Photography Workshops. Saturday’s workshop takes place at Burrage Wildlife Management Area in Hanson. (registration required)
- Summer’s a time when insects are very active. Come visit Laughing Brook in Hampden on Saturday for Insects of the Field and Forest to see and hear some of the many insects that live here. Watch as a bee pollinates a flower, see how many different types of butterflies you can count, and learn what lives within all that white spittle on the field plants. (registration required)
- If the weather is clear, join local astronomers and view the night sky through their big telescopes during Moose Hill’s Free Star Party on Saturday night in Sharon. The event is on-going, so drop in for the entire time, or just some of the evening.
- Long Pasture is running the Cuttyhunk And Penikese Two Island Tour on Sunday leaving from Falmouth. Along with a naturalist, you’ll spend time on both islands, learning about the islands’ history and habitats.
- During the six-hour Shorebirds, Herons, and Egrets, Oh My!, a team from Joppa Flats will guide you through Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, the salt meadows of Newbury and Rowley, and other sites searching for…you guessed it…shorebirds, herons, and egrets. (registration required)
- As part of the 2012 Easthampton Bear Festival, Arcadia is offering the Black Bear Family Program on Sunday. Listen to a story, make a bear craft, and play a game during which we will learn about bears. And thank to a grant from the Easthampton Cultural Council, this program is free! (registration required)
For a full listing of programs happening this weekend, visit our online program catalog, where you can now register online for many of our programs.
Photo © Sean McMahon